Knowledge Unlatched Research's Data Sharing Principles and Use
Knowledge Unlatched Research (KU Research) uses data to increase the discoverability and usability of Knowledge Unlatched's Open Access content, and to measure impacts from its use. This supports the larger ambition of Knowledge Unlatched: to enable open access innovation in scholarly communication, particularly for the Humanities and Social Sciences.
Often the data we use is provided by libraries, publishers, e-lending platforms and content providers. It can be data about monograph titles, authors and release dates; about content usage and downloads; and purchasing trends and networks. We manage data provided by research partners sensitively and securely. As an organisation committed to open access, we also strive to make non-sensitive data as open and accessible as possible.
Everything we do with data provided by partners is guided by our Principles for Data Sharing and Use. These principles inform the agreements we make regarding data use and accessibility and how we treat data internally. Our principles are:
Demonstrating Best Practice
KU Research is committed to treating data in accordance with best practice when it comes to data storage, collection and sharing.
- Comply with research data management guidelines and regulatory obligations including our obligations under European data protection laws and guidelines required by data partners;
- Seek out expertise, tools and new data sources that can enrich our research;
- Review our data storage and governance arrangements regularly, to ensure our activities reflect our principles and the expectations of partners.
KU Research is an open access organisation. We aim to make the outputs and data from our research as open as possible for others to benefit from.
- Openly license the research outputs and data we create (taking into account personal data and other sensitivities);
- Where our outputs contain data owned by partners, we will seek permission from and encourage partners to openly licence these outputs;
- Require that researchers and organisations undertaking work on our behalf openly licence their contributions;
- Use open formats and standards wherever possible, to maximise use.
The relationships that we have with libraries, publishers and content providers who provide us with data are built on trust and open collaboration. Maintaining trust is fundamental to the ability of KU Research to access and use data.
- Be open with partners about how we intend to use their data and how we will keep it secure;
- Work closely with partners to come up with data management plans and access conditions that they’re comfortable with;
- Be mindful of sensitivities in data – personal, commercial or otherwise confidential – and treat sensitive data securely and respectfully;
- Be open about any issues, risks or concerns which arise in our data use and which may impact on partners.
If you have any questions about our policy do please contact us.